Monday, June 4, 2012

A Good Summer Read

One of the best things I know is to stay up all night and read a good book and this is precisely what I did last night. Just because I felt like it. Even though my eyelids were almost impossible to keep up I fought the sleep like a gladiator fighting a ferosious lion and continued reading until 5 AM. I didn't quite finish my book then, but I did today. So it took me about 10 hours to read the book with short pauses, wuups.

So as I told yesterday I read Paige Toons sixth book "One Perfect Summer" which is about 18 year old Alice who falls in love with Joe, also 18, at a summer holiday in Dorset, England. THIS PART CONTAINS SPOILERS SO STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW ANYTHING YET! Alice is from a quite normal family, she's an only child and has one best friend, Lizzie. Joe on the other hand is from a family nothing like hers. His parents seem to hate him and his brother use to and still does assault him and he has no friends. Despite these differences they have a lot in common and fall madly in love with each other during the short weeks of the summer holiday. One night though something happens and they're torn apart from each other. Alice starts studying at an university in Cambridge and Joe is nowhere to be seen or heard of. She tries to find him without results and meets some friends and continue living a more normal life than before and tries to forget about Joe and the summer they spent together. Much later she meets a handsome boy named Lukas who is nothing like Joe and before she knows it they're together and he's planning their future, but she's still longing to know what happened to Joe. Can she really commit to Lukas before knowing what could have been?

Well, I will not tell you what happens then, but I gotta say that despite this book wasn't as good as the others before it, it's still pretty good. I think it had a "real" tone to it and I loved Joes character, so mysterious. I think Paige really caught an 18 year olds way of thinking and caught the reality of people that are in love who don't always see the bad sides of the person they love even though others may have. What I really didn't like was the ending, which usually is my favourite part of Paiges' books, because it was so sudden somehow. SPOILER ALERT AGAIN! We didn't get to know how things really ended with the husband and how she got through their separation and when all this happened which would have been interesting. Now it was just bing -> they fought, she wanted to sort things out and bang -> there she's with her once summer love and they lived happily ever after. Well hopefully she'll write a super book next and soon, because I can't wait!!

So far my favourite books are still Lucy in the SkyJohnny Be Good and Chasing Daisy, but I also loved Pictures of Lily mostly because it was set in Australia and I loved to go there some day (as was parts of Lucy in the Sky).

Is it just me who wants movies out of these books by the way?

Edit 05.06.2012, 00:03: Apparently there's film rights for Chasing Daisy so that's superexciting and the reason One Perfect Summer ends so quickly and weird is because Paige is writing a sequel (yippiee!) which is coming out in two years (buuu! can't wait). The next book is going to be called Tell Laura I love her which is about Laura, Will's high school sweetheart from Chasing Daisy if you remember. And this is a fact I'm also very excited about since I loved Lauras character for some reason even though she wasn't much in the book, but I was curious to learn more about her and I almost could predict Paige was going to write a book on her. So I'm beyond happy! All this I know because of this lovely lady who also is a Paige Toon enthusiast.


Reading Lucy in the Sky at a holiday on Mallorca in September 2009.

0 comments:

Post a Comment