Friday, September 6, 2013

I realized today that I'm starting to miss some things from home. It's not homesickness (yet), but just that feeling of that you know what you're doing and the control you have over your life back in Finland. Here for example you ALWAYS have to plan ahead if you just want to fo shopping in the nearest mall. It takes ages to get a cab and it takes ages to get back. Today it went far more smoothly though because there was a shuttle van taking us to and from the mall and it didn't take a half an hour for the ride to arrive either. My only goal today was to get some vodka. Childish I know, but what can you do when you don't want to drink overly sweet cider all the time. Even though I now have found one label that I really think is good, Redd's Apple Cider. Yum! Okay, this post was not supposed to be about alcohol though.

One another thing that is different is the dancing style people seem to have here. I'm used to the partypeople jumping up and down on the dancefloor with their fist up in the air to some upbeat music, not to people twerking and doggy styling each other to some gansta rap. I don't know if this is a general thing or just a one time event, but that is still to be found out. Also people seem slower here. The lady in the cashier isn't in any hurry to put your stuff in the shopping bag (yes, we do NOT do this ourselves), and take some form of payment. One thing that also takes time is checking my Finnish passport whenever I buy alcohol. It can't be scanned at most places so the manager has to be called so she or he can put in some access codes.

One of the saddest things here is that people over 21 can't drink in the same place/room as the people who are under 21. It divides the people and groups a lot since we are pretty much a mixture of all ages. Just one tip though, if you're thinking about coming to America to study or whatever, be over 21. It will be much more fun, because you don't have to limit yourself to only the under 21 y/o events. Well, this became a long post even though it was supposed to be a short one. But I guess I will just wish you a fun weekend! :)

So here's some random pictures from the last couple of days.


Playing tennis on Thursday with Damir and Anna-Marie.


The way to go if you want a "good" time :D


Anna cutting Damirs hair.


My new Nikies! I'm in love, and only for 60$ish dollars, so practically nothing in euros.


1,5 liter wine bottles. WTF? Why is everything sooo BIG in here?


One of those beautiful days.


Where we get our liquor from. It's a bits walk away from Walmart, but it's on the other side of the road so you have to walk a bit past it and then wait for the lights to turn so you can cross the highway that is obviously blocking my way there on purpose.


The place to get lost in and spend hours to just find one thing.


Let the party (weekend) begin!


My course books. One more book on it's way.  Crazy expensive in here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment